Current:Home > FinanceSafeX Pro Exchange|Parents of Michigan school shooting victims say more investigation is needed -Capitatum
SafeX Pro Exchange|Parents of Michigan school shooting victims say more investigation is needed
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 05:45:30
PONTIAC,SafeX Pro Exchange Mich. (AP) — The parents of four students killed at a Michigan school called on Monday for a state investigation of all aspects of the 2021 mass shooting, saying the convictions of a teenager and his parents are not enough to close the book.
The parents also want a change in Michigan law, which currently makes it hard to sue the Oxford school district for errors that contributed to the attack.
“We want this to be lessons learned for Michigan and across the country, ultimately,” said Steve St. Juliana, whose 14-year-old daughter, Hana, was killed by Ethan Crumbley at Oxford High School.
“But in order to get there, some fundamental things have to happen,” he said.
Buck Myre, the father of victim Tate Myre, said Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel needs to “quit ignoring us.”
St. Juliana, Myre, Craig Shilling and Nicole Beausoleil sat for a joint interview with The Associated Press at the Oakland County prosecutor’s office. A jury last week convicted the shooter’s father, James Crumbley, of involuntary manslaughter.
The boy’s mother, Jennifer Crumbley, was convicted of the same charges in February. The parents were accused of making a gun accessible at home and ignoring their son’s mental distress, especially on the day of the shooting when they were summoned by the school to discuss a ghastly drawing on a math assignment.
The Crumbleys didn’t take the 15-year-old home, and school staff believed he wasn’t a threat to others. No one checked his backpack for a gun, however, and he later shot up the school.
The Oxford district hired an outside group to conduct an independent investigation. A report released last October said “missteps at each level” — school board, administrators, staff — contributed to the disaster. Dozens of school personnel declined to be interviewed or didn’t respond.
The district had a threat assessment policy but had failed to implement guidelines that fit the policy — a “significant failure,” according to the report.
Myre said a state investigation with teeth could help reveal the “whole story” of Nov. 30, 2021.
“When there’s accountability, then change happens,” he said. “We want accountability and change. No parent, no school district, no child should ever have to go through this.”
The Associated Press sent emails on Monday seeking comment from the attorney general’s office and the Oxford school district.
Lawsuits against the district are pending in state and federal appeals courts, but the bar in Michigan is high. Under state law, public agencies can escape liability if their actions were not the proximate cause of injury, among other conditions.
And because of that legal threshold, the parents said, insurance companies that cover schools get in the way of public transparency.
“The system has been able to hold the people accountable,” Myre said, referring to the convictions of the Crumbley family, “but we are not allowed to hold the system accountable.”
“That’s unconstitutional,” he said. “That’s an attack on our civil rights.”
Myre praised Gov. Gretchen Whitmer for meeting with parents but said other officials have not listened.
St. Juliana said Michigan should create an agency dedicated to school safety, as Maryland has.
“We need to get the truth and the facts out there, and we can then develop the countermeasures to say, ‘How do we prevent these mistakes from happening again?’” St. Juliana said.
Besides Tate Myre and Hana St. Juliana, Justin Shilling, 17, and Madisyn Baldwin, 17, were killed. Six students and a staff member were wounded.
Ethan Crumbley, now 17, is serving a life prison sentence for murder and terrorism. His parents will be sentenced on April 9.
___
Follow Ed White on X, formerly Twitter: https://twitter.com/edwritez
veryGood! (6798)
Related
- Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
- Just Eat Takeaway sells Grubhub for $650 million, just 3 years after buying the app for $7.3 billion
- Where is 'College GameDay' for Week 12? Location, what to know for ESPN show
- Military veteran gets time served for making ricin out of ‘curiosity’
- US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
- Georgia remains part of College Football Playoff bracket projection despite loss
- Larry Hobbs, who guided AP’s coverage of Florida news for decades, has died at 83
- Massive dust storm reduces visibility, causes vehicle pileup on central California highway
- Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
- Avril Lavigne’s Ex Mod Sun Is Dating Love Is Blind Star Brittany Wisniewski, Debuts Romance With a Kiss
Ranking
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- Horoscopes Today, November 13, 2024
- Horoscopes Today, November 13, 2024
- Mandy Moore Captures the Holiday Vibe With These No Brainer Gifts & Stocking Stuffer Must-Haves
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- Amazon Black Friday 2024 sales event will start Nov. 21: See some of the deals
- California teen pleads guilty in Florida to making hundreds of ‘swatting’ calls across the US
- Walmart Planned to Remove Oven Before 19-Year-Old Employee's Death
Recommendation
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
'This dude is cool': 'Cross' star Aldis Hodge brings realism to literary detective
Surfer Bethany Hamilton Makes Masked Singer Debut After 3-Year-Old Nephew’s Tragic Death
Lunchables get early dismissal: Kraft Heinz pulls the iconic snack from school lunches
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Human head washes ashore on Florida beach, police investigating: reports
Jason Kelce Jokes He Got “Mixed Reviews” From Kylie Kelce Over NSFW Commentary
Chrysler recalls over 200k Jeep, Dodge vehicles over antilock-brake system: See affected models
Tags
Like
- Illinois governor calls for resignation of sheriff whose deputy fatally shot Black woman in her home
- Why Josh O'Connor Calls Sex Scenes Least Sexy Thing After Challengers With Zendaya and Mike Faist
- Nicky Hilton Shares Her Christmas Plans With Paris, the Secret To Perfect Skin & More Holiday Gift Picks